Thursday, April 25, 2013

Wheelchair ramp regulations: Katie Hendricks

     Now that you have learned lessons on right triangle trig and researching wheelchair ramp regulations, you need to write a letter to the construction company that is building your wheelchair ramp. You should write to them as if you are in a wheelchair that pulls a 5% grade. Let them know how the sides should measure for a door that is 10 inches from the ground.






Dear builder,
     My name is Suzy. I am writing to you to ask how the building of my wheelchair ramp is going. I know that I gave you the door height of 10 inches. I also wanted to let you know the problem with the wheelchair regulation. The national wheelchair regulation is 1:12. This shows that for every inch of rise, you need 12 inches of run. This show approximately an 8% grade. My wheelchair is not a standard wheelchair that you can roll manually. My wheelchair is a motorized wheelchair that only pulls at a 5% grade. You can see the issue here. If you build my ramp to be an 8% grade, my wheelchair won't make it up. My 5% grade show a 1:20 ratio. This says that for every inch of rise, you will need 20 inches of run. This means for my 10 inch door, you will need to extend the ramp our 200 inches. This means that the sloped edge of my ramp will need to be 200.25 inches to meet my regulations. Thank you so much for your cooperation.
     Sincerely,
          Suzy
         

No comments:

Post a Comment